Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Reading, Not Books

I have been reading tonight.
 
I've been reading the professional websites published by friends whose businesses provide various forms of life coaching for women.  With their emphasis on self-discovery, re-invention, and pathways to authenticity and satisfaction in all arenas of life, they are sure to glean far greater audience numbers than those my church is able to gather into a worshipping congregation.
 
I've also been reading the essays written by applicants to the spiritual direction program from which I graduated and on whose advisory board I now sit.  Lengthy, searching, reflective pieces of writing, revealing many of life's great traumas and the persistent search for God which winds in and around those experiences of what Old Testament scholar Walter Brueggemann calls orientation, disorientation, and re-orientation.
 
The first set of readings has made me really tired.
 
The second has made me want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment