Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Church Comes to a Close ~11: Final Session Meeting


In the Presbyterian Church, the church council is called a session.  Ours has its final regular meeting tomorrow afternoon.
 
In my report, I provided an update on the nuts and bolts of the closing, and added the following, more important than any nut or bolt:
 
It has been my great privilege to serve our congregation with each of you for the past two years.  I so wish that the results as we know them right now were different ~ I do believe that in many ways we came close to transforming the life of the church.  And I am sure that the Holy Spirit has moved among us in powerful ways.  But God’s ways are so often not ours, and the Spirit may have been directing all of us toward something we have not yet imagined or understood. 
Nevertheless, from the most vexing maintenance problem to the most wondrous visioning questions, each of you has served the congregation with energy and intelligence and imagination ~ and distinction.  I am truly proud of and humbled by (can you be both things at once?) your courage, your willingness to try and try again, your honesty, and your determination to go out strong.
Well done, good and faithful servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment