Saturday, April 17, 2010

Life is Full

I have had a really full few days and I have a few more ahead of me. Lots to write about, but just bullet points for now.

Wednesday night Howard Gray, one of the most special people in my life, presented John Carroll University's annual lecture on Where Do I Find Hope? It was another brilliant exploration of attention, reverence and devotion as the dispositions to which we are called. I spoke briefly with another woman, a psychologist at Giant Famous Hospital and also a spiritual director, and we agreed that each line of our several pages of notes offers a day's worth of contemplative material.

The next day, it was my pleasure to drive HG to Pittsburgh, and the day after that to take him out to lunch at a spot high above the city, overlooking skyline and rivers, prior to his speaking on the topic of discernment as part of the spiritual direction certificate program new to my seminary this year. Lots of conversation, and I got to hear another wonderful presentation, not on the techniques of discernment, but on creating an environment which fosters prayerful discernment.

Today, back to Cleveland where Walter Brueggeman was appearing at my home church in conversation with one of our pastors. Another outstanding event! And more on that later as well.

Now it's time for me to produce instead of listen. An adult class at my field ed church tomorrow. A "guest speaking engagement" on pastoral care for survivors of suicide in a class at seminary on Monday. A Monday night advisory board meeting for the seminary's spiritual direction program. A test (billed as a quiz, but I think not) on Tuesday. And preaching in the seminary chapel on Tuesday as well.

I'm not quite sure why everything is happening in the same seven days. But on Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. I plan to pull the covers over my head and go to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you've been having your own "Big Event" right there at home!

    I know the feeling about that point in a few days where I can literally and/or figuratively get in bed and pull the covers over my head. I've got mine scheduled for early May!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are getting inspiration and insight from so many trusted voices. Your schedule and energy always stagger me, but I'm also glad to see you've scheduled some rest in the near future! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had been able to tuck myself into your handbag and ride along with you. This sounds like a wonderful week of re-fueling!

    ReplyDelete