Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bad Habits

I am hoping to break a bad habit I've recently developed by posting about it here.  Exposure = The End.

A lot of my friends on FB post little aphorisms that are usually followed by several "likes."  Harmless fun.

But me, I immediately see numerous exceptions to these little affirmations.  (QG can confirm, but I think such a response is an occupational hazard for attorneys.)  And then I post my brilliant responses -- which probably really disturbs folks who just want to skip along thinking happy thoughts.

This morning's example:

Seminary Friend: To receive a gift or blessing before you are ready to appreciate it is like not receiving it at all.

Me: Hmmmm......but you may appreciate it days or months or decades later, yes? And then it would have been most unfortunate not to have had it offered in the first place.

The story of my life.

Seminary Friend: That is true, too. 

Me (Unspoken):  They can't both be true.  Well, maybe sometimes.  Have to think about that one. 

Now I could bore you with a lengthy post about all the blessings in my life that I have appreciated eons after the fact.  And I could write about how unfortunate it would be if all the blessings offered us when we are incapable of receiving them graciously were to be subtracted from our lives, because then we would have close to none.

But I'm sure you have your own examples.

So the blessing I have to offer today is my plan to cease and desist from churlish growling on FB.

No matter how right I am.




6 comments:

  1. I'll try not to go on about status updates that make me crazy, but cheery aphorisms are some of them. And then there are status updates that are merely bible verses. They don't mean anything to me in that context (and out of their context). Quotes from other sources are almost--though not quite--as bad.

    And then I find myself wanting to quote something myself as my status update, but I just make myself stop.

    If you're not going to tell me something about yourself, I don't really care what you have to say.

    Can you tell I've thought much too hard about this? :-)

    And thanks for sharing your story with me on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the cranky crones club, Robin! Couldn't agree with you more. And yes, you're right--it's almost impossible for a lawyer to resist the temptation to wordsmith something.
    Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty is nothing to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like! (couldn't resist)...(sorry)...I really abuse the "like" option - using it often as a way to let someone know I stopped by but don't have much more to say about whatever they have posted. I suppose it would be userful if there were options like, "What????" or "Do you really mean this?" or "You're kidding, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about the ones that say, "Jesus is my savior, repost this if you agree!" I'm not....gonna....do it. Grr.

    ReplyDelete