Thursday, September 19, 2013

Paradox


Strange week; head spinning.
 
Two instances of rejection ~ two completely different contexts ~ people walking away from work we have done together without a word to me or a backward glance.
 
I would like to think that in similar circumstances I would at least send an email, if not schedule a conversation, to explain and perhaps offer a thank-you.  I wonder.  Perhaps in these situations lies a reminder to do so when the tables are turned.
 
On the other hand,
 
Three conversations with three different people in which I have been encouraged to do something it has never occurred to me to do and to which my first response, to the first person, was to laugh and say, "No way!"  By the end of the third, last night, I was re-considering.
 
There must be a Mary Oliver poem about this.  Oh, yeah, there is.  What is it you plan to do . . .
 
I wonder what the answer will turn out to be.

1 comment:

  1. We live in a weird time. People are just rude, few people remember to be courteous even when the answer is no, or not know, or we have decided to go in a different direction. I know many people, myself included, who have experienced this with job interviews, you go so far and then it stops and no one tells you anything. Just left hanging. A simple email, phone call, or note would be respectful.

    That said, sounds like some Holy Spirit stuff is going on!

    ReplyDelete