Friday, October 4, 2013

Non-Writing Writing Retreat

 
Yesterday at lunchtime, reeling a bit from the feelings and memories generated by the writing retreat, I suddenly realized that it had not rained as forecast earlier, and that there was nothing I needed to accomplish in the afternoon that could not be finished later.  To the marsh and the beach! ~ about an hour away.  The added bonus turned out to be that my friend Chris, who lives there, was home.  Although we live in such proximity, our schedules are such that we seldom get together. 
 
You might think otherwise.  She and I are part of a foursome of mothers who discovered one another through our blogs in the first couple of years after our children died.  We have been writing to one another ever since, first in a semi-formal blog retreat as we waded through Joyce Rupp's book Open the Door, and then in frequent emails and posts.
 
Chris made two points yesterday which have already had quite the effect on me.  I told her about my post earlier this week on Anger, and my . . . well, embarrassment, really, at having vented such a display of fury over ~ not much.  Especially after Karen, another of our moms, whose daughter died of cancer, wrote in her, as always, kind and understanding manner, to reassure me that I was not out of line.
 
"What if Josh hadn't died?" Chris asked. "How would the breast cancer experience have been for you then?"  I looked at her in surprise as I realized, "No big deal.  It would have taken a lot of time and energy and I would still have complained about the physical pain.  But I don't really care about the breast, I can do everything I used to do, and I have no reason to fear a recurrence.  I would have taken it in stride."      
 
I didn't add that my life's structure of loss was already so extensive that six months dedicated to breast cancer would not have been that difficult to endure.  (And here I apologize to all the women I am no doubt offending.  But in reading about breast cancer at that time, I realized that for many women in their fifties and sixties, breast cancer, either theirs or their mother's, is their first major experience of life-out-of-control and devastating loss.  For me, even without Josh's death, it followed the deaths of mother, brother, and two step-mothers, infertility, and a previous cancer scare.  One more thing.) 
 
For  me the trauma of breast cancer was losing a part of my body so intimately connected to the child previously lost.
 
"You have to remember," said Chris, "that all of your experiences now are through a Josh lens.  Things which would not have caused you to stumble six years ago loom large and crushing now."
 
We also talked about our challenges as a group in getting together and in maintaining any consistent writing schedule.  I commented that I think that we are each finally re-negotiating our lives and finding what they are supposed to be about. Chris reminded me that she had read an article, back at the beginning, that said it takes about six years post-child-loss to discover who you are and who you want to be.  (Since, I might add, who you were is long gone.)  Chris and Karen are now just past six years; the other Karen and I are just into the sixth year.  We have all let go of much that once seemed critical to our well being, we are all focused in our distinct ways on making the world a more generous place for those who live, and we are all learning to navigate lives in which we are surrounded by people who experience virtually every moment differently than we do, so that authentic connections seem few and far between.
 
I can't say that I wrote much this week.  But I do see more clearly why I so identify with and love Skyler White.
.

4 comments:

  1. You said, "For me the trauma of breast cancer was losing a part of my body so intimately connected to the child previously lost." You connected those dots -- wise woman.

    Amazing how "we are surrounded by people who experience virtually every moment differently than we do," as you say yet we are really all the same. Universality of human spirit. We just think we are different.

    I love the colours on this page.

    WriterLinda in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said all of this so clearly and beautifully - nothing, nothing, nothing is the same as it was. I cannot relate to people - honestly, to anything - as I used to do; it's new, almost all of the time. I thought I had found a path around the 4-year mark, but am definitely listening anew in year 6. There doesn't seem to be much ground under my feet, but God is here, and that is going to have to be enough. I do continue to hope that we will meet in person as a group, but until then, I cherish our written connections. Love to you on this day of remembering your dear mother and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, when I read your blog you enable me to see life through a different lens and I pray that I can take that sensitivity into my own journey of life so that I can be present to others. Bless you for sharing so intimately and wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Robin. I finally caught up with your blog today, after being so busy with visitors and birthdays and our anniversary. Life has changed so much for all of us. I do, like Karen, so wish for a sitdown with you all. I just need to hear from you all. So thankful you keep blogging. At least I can hear some of your heart, and share what so few really understand.

    ReplyDelete