Sunday, January 30, 2011

So what did you do today?

I worshiped at my home church this morning.  It was very nice to sleep in and worry about nothing, and  I made it without incident through the choir singing an anthem (below) that I last heard them sing (per my selection) at my son's funeral service. 

The Lovely Daughter and I went to see Joseph and the TD at the local youth theatre, with which she once performed as a tiny street urchin in Oliver!  Unfortunately we had misread the information; the final performance was last night.  We missed a great show, according to two ladies who also showed up but, in their case, for an encore.  I've seen Joseph several times and had been driving around listening to the Broadway CD for two days, so I was very disappointed.

We then headed over to the university to see an exhibit of paintings based on Ignatian spirituality and discovered that the show hasn't been hung yet.  So we struck out all around ~ though I'm going to see it and hear the artist speak later this week.  On the right day and at the right time, I hope.

So as all turned out, I spent most of the afternoon and early evening wrestling Freud's The Future of an Illusion into something manageable for college freshmen.  It wasn't quite as simple as I had anticipated (How did we ever read that in high school?), but it's finished.  On to John Updike, thank God.

There's a wideness in God's mercy,
Like the wideness of the sea;
There's a kindness in His justice,
Which is more than liberty.
 There is no place where earth's sorrows
Are more felt than up in Heaven;
There is no place where earth's failings
Have such kindly judgment given.
 For the love of God is broader
Than the measure of our mind;
And the heart of the Eternal
Is most wonderfully kind.

But we make His love too narrow
By false limits of our own;
And we magnify His strictness
With a zeal He will not own.

There is plentiful redemption
In the blood that has been shed;
There is joy for all the members
In the sorrows of the Head.
There is grace enough for thousands
Of new worlds as great as this;
There is room for fresh creations
In that upper home of bliss. 
If our love were but more faithful,
we should take him at his word;
and our life would be thanksgiving
for the goodness of the Lord.


3 comments:

  1. come and see Joseph at St. Paul's in March! My own lovely daughter will be in the chorus, and I would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite hymns - I can hear it in my head...and now will think of you and your son whenever I do.

    ReplyDelete