Tuesday, July 16, 2013

RevGals Birthday: Dreamtime

What's your dream for RevGals?

From the website, with a request for posts for this week's Blog Carnival:

"It's hard to believe it's been eight years since the comment-conversation that led to t-shirts and a website, then later a board and an annual event and now a staff person! We are growing almost as fast as an eight year old, and we love every minute! As many of the founders can be heard saying: 'we made a thing!' It's always said with an exclamation point, of course.

I have a friend who always wishes people happy birthday with the greeting "happy new year!" It's a reminder that a birthday both marks things past and looks forward to things to come. So may our birthday be an occasion for looking back (as we have done the last two weeks) and looking forward at what God has in store for us next!

Because eight year olds love things that are slightly complicated but not really, and because 8 year olds are some of the most imaginative people I know, we'll be doing a two-part carnival this week!

1. What's your birthday tradition?
2. If you were blowing out the RevGal birthday candles, what would you wish for us? What's your dream for RevGalBlogPals?"

Hmmm . . . my own birthdays are pretty much non-events.  I thought this year might be different, but reality has once again conspired against me.  But for RevGals . . .

I've been reflecting a lot about the topic of leadership of late.  I'm not sure I even know what it means.  On today's morning walk, I realized that I have a lot of questions about women in leadership in particular.  Then, remarkably, another website I frequent raised a question about leadership this morning: Are you a leader?

My response:  Beats me.  Officially, yes.  But I often find myself scratching my head . . .    .
 
And so for RevGals, I would love to see a big event, whether online or irl and not necessarily on a boat ( no pun intended), focused on women in leadership, construed as broadly and imaginatively as possible.  Or maybe a whole separate website or something, I don't know what, addressing leadership spirituality and skills.  I think I probably know a lot more about these topics than I realize, but I need a framework in which to explore and design and create and build.  I might even be willing to help create such a thing.
 
Something fun with which to start, from dictionary.com:
 
Origin:
before 900; Middle English leden, Old English lǣdan  (causative of līthan  to go, travel); cognate with Dutch leiden, German leiten, Old Norse leitha
 
Look at that!  Travel!  Maybe a boat will be involved after all.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment