Friday, March 4, 2011

Savoring Lent (Friday Five)



Kathrynzj at RevGals offers the following Friday Five:

"My calendar taunts me with the [Lenten] schedule I'm supposedly going to keep. There are extra Bible studies, evening gatherings and worship services all crammed into a six week period of reflection and contemplation (ha!). But there are some things I truly love about the season of Lent even if I don't get in as much reflection and contemplation as I would like.

What about you? What are some things you appreciate about the season of Lent? Perhaps you would share 5 of them with us. And for your bonus question feel free to share one thing you could do without."



1.  When our children were little, I enjoyed the dinners and programs that we attended every Wednesday evening during Lent at what was then our church.

2. I am grateful that the reading from Joel (2:12-13 in particular) rolls around every Ash Wednesday, although it has been rather a  challenge for me the past few years.

3.  I love the beauty of the Ash Wednesday and Tenebrae services.

4.  I appreciate the opportunities for interfaith gatherings that emerge during this season.

5. Most of all, I appreciate the church's recognition that we need lengthy seasons in which to savor preparation in order to digest the feasts of celebration in the fullest possible way ~ and that in Lent that preparation incorporates contemplation and confession and lament, pathways of practice that lead us toward resurrection.

Image here.

2 comments:

  1. You have so eloquently put into words my own appreciation for the rhythm of church seasons. Thank you for these reminders of why Lent is important and thank you for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your number 5 so profoundly captured the season's purpose...

    ReplyDelete