Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cemeteries: Pennsylvania



Anyone who reads this blog knows how entranced I am by cemeteries.  I've wandered a couple in this past year that I haven't gotten around to writing about, so this week I think that I'll rectify that situation.

Next door to the Wernersville Jesuit Retreat Center in eastern Pennsylvania stands St. John's (Hain's) United Church of Christ, which began life in 1735 as a congregation of the German Reformed Church on land donated  by George and Veronica Hain.  Since I spend a lot of my prayer time in motion, I have now walked through the church cemetery a number of times.   (Wayne had told me that I would see bluebirds there, which turned out to be an accurate prediction.)

The German words on the oldest gravestones, those closest to the church, are fading  into obscurity, but you can still make out birthplaces and family relationships.  Fifty-seven veterans of the American Revolution lie buried there, as well as numbers of babies and small children, so often encountered in older cemeteries.


I, of course, like that the Jesuits and a Reformed congregation are next door neighbors.

3 comments:

  1. The hubs loves cemeteries...and I confess to a certain fascination with very old tombstones. I would love to visit a cemetery from the 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the bluebirds were there to greet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy El Camp is hosting this event for home-schooled children or cyber students from grades 1 to 8. The only christian retreat centers in pennsylvania has a list of activities install, especially for these kids annually. We have a pack of activities that make children realize the beauty of God’s creation, also great Christian values based on Biblical truths and many others.

    Our serene place shadowed by green lush vegetations will keep children from normal distractions. Joy El Camp is ready to make sure that these children will grow up loving their neighbors as they love themselves.

    ReplyDelete