Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chestnut-Sided Warbler


It appears that my eyesight is not going to make a complete recovery in time for the height of the spring migration season over the next couple of weeks.  Consequently, I am going to focus (ha ha) on depth rather than on breadth this year, and try to learn some new things.  

This morning I positioned myself against the bridge railing at Lower Lake so that I could use my elbows to steady my binocs for my one-eyed viewing.  I hoped that something more than than the Canada geese, mallards, and rough-winged and barn swallows would show up.  Those are all perfectly fine birds, but I wanted to see someone in transit.

Reward!  One unmistakable bird flitting around in the not-yet-green underbrush along the stream.



I came home and looked up the map.  Do you suppose he was in Guatemala when The Lovely Daughter was there in March?  Will he cross Lake Erie tonight, or will he rest a few days first?  And will he seek a mate and build a nest in Algonquin Park in Ontario, and spend the summer watching folks paddle by in their canoes, as we so often have?

Kind of makes my day, to wonder about those things.


Image by Terry Sohl, here.
.

7 comments:

  1. what a sight! I would rest before flying, but I am an aging dude

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is lovely! You're doing pretty well, even one-eyed. Warblers are hard to spot, let alone identify, with TWO eyes. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birdwatching is one of my great loves! Seeing one in migration, or just watching one and contemplating their immensity of their work is pretty amazing.

    I've had no end of joy just watching in my backyard, throwing out some seed, and seeing some amazing results!

    I love your migration maps too! It's really incredible to see just what these dainty, little creatures are capable of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Little Lakes are a big stopover for warblers and other migrants - you could easily spot lots of species of warblers, vireos, and sparrows on a hot migration day in May. Unfortunately my near-far vision is such a problem that I think this year I will have to limit myself to what I can see by staying in one place at specific vantage points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such lovely thoughts to ponder while i rest & recuperate
    and to think i got excited about three bright yellow finches at my feeder in the yard!
    oh my goodness, thank you for adding me to your blog list
    peace to you as mother's day approaches, robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful....our new place has a beautiful yard with flowering trees and loads of cardinals....not too many "exotic" migrating birds, though...which makes me miss (well not really too much) the migrating hummingbirds in Arizona....

    I hope your eyes continue to heal, as I continue to hold you in prayer....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, I have a wonderful memory of a 3yo Lovely Daughter singing to hummingbirds in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete