Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Spiritual Exercises in Glass, Revisited



Hey!  Look at this!

Remember our trip to Seattle?

I've given a lot of thought to this chapel. 

My own church is not a lot bigger, but it's a traditional white clapboard church set on a small village green.  I feel at home there, having gone to boarding school and college in small New England towns.

But right now, half of our stained glass windows are out for refurbishing, meaning that we have clear glass and sunlight streaming in from the eastern side of the building.  The space is completely altered  by the autumn light.

Between the Seattle chapel and our own situation, I am completely re-thinking my dedication to Chartres and similar worship spaces.  I am beginning to think that my new ideal is stark, and open to light, and home to a few dramatic artistic creations -- and on the shores of a Great Lake or an ocean.

I hope that you re-enjoy the Exercises in glass!


3 comments:

  1. Unlike previous churches I have worked or worshiped in, the one here is white, colonial, with glass windows and red carpeting. No stained glass. It is indeed very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting that this was highlighted - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember it. I find it interesting that your church is refurbishing the stained glass.

    ReplyDelete